Brock Lesnar went on Sportscenter on Tuesday night to talk about his future with über wrestling fan Michelle Beadle. What came out of his mouth was not what anybody expected.
Lesnar was not there to talk about his WWE championship match against Roman Reigns at Wrestlemania 31 on Sunday. He wasn’t there to talk about ending The Undertaker’s undefeated streak at Wreslemania 30. He wasn’t there to really talk much about any of his WWE opponents. In fact, many believed that Reigns would be Lesnar’s final opponent in a WWE ring for quite some time, as the speculation was running wild about a potential return to the UFC octagon.
Lesnar announced that he has other ideas.
“I’m officially closing the door on MMA,” Lesnar said. “It was hard. I re-signed last night with the WWE.”
It was expected that Lesnar would “drop the belt” to Reigns (or Seth Rollins, provided he finally cashes in his Money in the Bank championship contract), and then make his return to MMA. But we now know that will not be the case.
“It was a very hard decision at this stage of my career,” Lesnar said. “The fighter inside me wants to compete. The father and husband — I’m an older caveman now. I make wiser caveman decisions. So, I’m here to say my legacy in the Octagon is over.
“It was a hard decision to make. It took me a year. I’ve thought about this for a year. At the end of the day, it’s all about me wanting to have fun. The last two-and-a-half months I’ve been training to get back into the Octagon. I felt physically great, but something lacked mentally — and that’s not good.”
Lesnar attended the UFC 184 event last month to watch Ronda Rousey, further adding fuel to the fire about his likely return shortly after Wreslemania 31. After weighing all of his options, Lesnar decided that the wise move was one that will keep him on a lighter work schedule with the WWE.
“Last night, ol’ Vince McMahon put an offer on the table that I couldn’t refuse. That’s really what it comes down to — business and money and health and well-being,” he said.
“I’ve been on both sides of the spectrum. I’ve been in a bad position with my health, I’ve been in a bad position with my money. And now I’m in a great position with both, and I’m happy. I love what I’m doing. I work a limited schedule. I work part time with full-time pay, like everybody wants but you can’t have. Just me. I’m happy.”
No contract details have been released, but it would be safe to assume that Lesnar will be handsomely compensated for a schedule that has allowed him to miss far more live shows than any other top superstar. Regardless of Sunday’s outcome, I would not expect that to change much in the future, whether Lesnar retains the championship or not.
“We’re pretty good at keeping secrets, even in the age of today’s technology,” Lesnar said with a chuckle. “We came to a conclusion last night, and the offer on the table I just could not refuse. I think it’s fair to the fans. It’s my decision. I wanted to be fair to the fans to know that on Sunday, at WrestleMania, I’m going home with that damn belt. It was public knowledge and it was out there that, ‘What is Brock going to do?’”
Only time will tell. Will Lesnar defeat Reigns and hold on to his title? Will he drop the belt to Reigns or Rollins? Either way, Lesnar will be a part of the WWE for the foreseeable future.