I have been researching the over-sized beast of technology known as the iPad to decide if i’m willing to shell out the dough for a “Biggie Sized” iPod Touch. The display is amazingly vibrant and large for such a lightweight portable device. Portable is sort of relative in this respect however. If you’re taking this on the road be prepared to travel with your handy travel bag. This 9.7″ screen isn’t going to fit in your pocket, although at 0.5″ thick and 1.5lbs it’s not much to tote around. The custom designed processor, display, and power system claim to offer up to 10 full hours of battery life under heavy usage (watching videos, listening to music, surfing the web).
Reasons iPad will crap out before it takes off:
- So big it’s not portable. (Would anyone like a MacBook without the keyboard or useful OS? Sign ME up!)
- Doesn’t support Flash. (Basically this is a NetBook that is allergic to the Internet, the Bubble Boy of Mobile Computing.)
- Can’t multi-task. (Wow I’m glad the screen is so big so I can fit all the one things I can do at a time on it!)
- Doesn’t fix the 2 biggest problems with the iPod Touch / iPhone (see 2 and 3)
- Starting at $499 for the 16GB Wi-Fi only version. (For $200 less I can get a 32GB iPod touch that does all this in a more useful form factor).
Hell, if Apple wants to give me one to try out, maybe I’ll change my mind. Until that, save your cash kiddos, this thing is going to be the most expensive paperweight Apple has put out to date.
I’m calling it the iFad until I hear I get one for free.