The 2013 March Madness NCAA Tournament Brackets have been revealed, with the committee doing an excellent job in selecting the teams for this year’s insanity. How they have the teams seeded, however, leave a bit more to be desired. Some of where they placed specific teams, including the North Carolina Tar Heels and Oregon Ducks, were insulting. Both teams are better than their seeding. They also gave certain teams a better seed than they deserved, including the Arizona Wildcats and Florida Gators. I am not saying that you should expect to see North Carolina and Oregon make a Sweet 16 run, as both have extremely difficult draws in the second round. I am also not saying that an upset is predicted for Florida in its first game against the Northwestern State Demons. I do, however, see Arizona falling early to the Belmont Bruins. That is not the only upset I am predicting in the second or third round, though, so you better keep reading for all of the early upsets I see taking place in what could be one of the more wide open tournaments in recent history.
* Arizona will fall to Belmont. The Wildcats have been horrible after getting out to a hot start. Belmont has been through this before. Take the No. 11 seed over the No. 6 here.
* I also like another No. 11 to defeat a No. 6, although I can’t tell you which team it will be quite yet… Let me explain. I don’t see the Memphis Tigers winning a game in this year’s tournament. I am not exactly sure who wins the first round game between the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders or St. Mary’s Gaels. But I see the winner knocking out Memphis n the next game.
* UCLA was extremely lucky to make it to the finals of the PAC 12 Tournament. It is not that they are a bad team, but they can be had. The Bruins are very inconsistent. So is their opponent in the second round, the Minnesota Golden Gophers, although I am sticking with the whole trend of the No. 11s knocking off the No. 6s.
* To complete the grand slam, I like Bucknell Bison to eliminate the Butler Bulldogs. It is a number thing.
* The Duke Blue Devils will not lose their first game against the Albany Great Danes. I will be rooting for it to happen, but I would not pencil in Albany in any bracket competition. I do, however, see Duke exiting early. I am just not quite sure when that will take place, although the Creighton Blue Jays could give them fits in the third round, and I see no chance of Duke getting past the Michigan State Spartans in a possible Sweet 16 matchup.
* The Syracuse Orange are primed for an upset. I don’t know when it happens, although I do see them advancing past the Montana Grizzlies in their first game. But they will not get far past that game.
* Everyone is touting the St. Louis Billikens as a sexy sleeper pick as a No. 5 seed. I just don’t see it. They are a talented team, but, if they get past the New Mexico State Aggies, a date against the winner of the game between the Oklahoma State Cowboys and Oregon Ducks could prove to be too difficult.
Those are just a few of my upset predictions. Stay tuned to Boston Super Blog over the coming days to see all of my picks for the 2013 NCAA Tournament, including my bold (well, perhaps) Final Four predictions!